From left to right: Fred C., Harold E., Buddy and Eugene Glaser
Eugene Glaser and his brother-in-law Frank Holley started H & G welding in 1945 on Cucharras St. in downtown Colorado Springs, which was originally a horse stable owned by the Tutt family. Eugene became sole owner after a couple of years and Darlene, his wife, was the bookkeeper. It was then named Glaser Welding Works. Burton Glaser known as Buddy, Eugene and Darlene’s son, started to work at the shop while still attending high school and later transitioned to full time after graduating.
In 1968 the downtown property was bought by the city for the court house and jail. They moved to a new shop at the west side of town at 619 S. 31st Street, in 1969. The shop continued with the same type of work such as wrought iron railings, window covers, steel fabrication, and some blacksmith work. In 1994, the shop became Glaser Welding Inc. but did business as Glaser Steel. Eugene and Darlene retired in 1995, they still would come by the shop to visit with the long time customers, help with little welding jobs, and were still apart of the workings in the shop at a smaller capacity.
Buddy married Charolette Pretzer in 1962 and their kids Kim, Chris, and Jacque grew up playing and helping around the shop while in school. Chris worked part-time while in school and began full-time work in 1988. He helped jumpstart the retail sale aspect of our business today. Jacque also worked part-time while in high school and college and later full-time after graduating.
In the early 1990’s, the shop increased the size of their steel racks to carry more steel to sell and within a short time, the steel sales skyrocketed. Due to this increase in sales, the next couple of years were devoted to growing the business by adding a larger office space and later, in 2005 an expansion was made to accommodate for steel sheets, plates, and a plasma table.
Jacque and Tony Jensen got married in 2001 and after working part-time for a couple of years, Tony joined full-time in 2004. Up until then Buddy, Charolette and Chris had run the shop. In 2004 Chris and his family moved to Arizona. A couple years later, Eugene passed away in 2006. Buddy was then in charge and ran the shop until his passing in 2010. Darlene later passed away in 2014.
Charolette, with the help of Jacque and Tony, ran the shop until her retirement in 2015 and the shop has been operated by Jacque and Tony since. Jacque and Tony’s kids, Ashley, Owen, Cecilia, and Gabriel have helped out around the shop, working part-time.
Since 1945, Glaser Steel has proudly been supplying steel and steel manufacturing to the front range as a family business.